Thursday, July 21, 2011

I blog therefor I have a deathwish

So.

A few months back I gave notice at my job running a large community mental health program. I have been a Clinical Social Worker and Child and Family Therapist for about 10 years, and I'd reached a point where I just couldn't see how I could continue to be who I want to be and do what I want to do in life if I kept working like that. I will spare you the sordid details, but let's just say I was commuting 10 hours a week to a job where I was responsible for services to literally hundreds of high-risk mental health clients on a salary fit for, well, no one, really. And after so many years, the work-- although rewarding and dynamic and meaningful-- felt a lot like trying to bail out the Titanic with a ShamWow.

So, I left. And I went back to part-time work as an ER Social Worker, something I used to do and really enjoy. Something that requires me to read about 3 emails a week and attend exactly 0 meetings.

And then I had all this time. I told everyone how excited I was to be more healthy and active, and to engage in activities that really expand my horizons and bring me joy and blah blah blah. I mowed the lawn one day well before it looked like a meadow for Half-Pint and little Albert to play hide and seek in. I cleaned the freezer. I spent an inordinate amount of time at the video store (I know! Who even know there still WERE video stores?! They have, like, all these videos right on the shelf!) contemplating watching the complete series of The Tudors or The Pacific and decided on both.

Then I got this idea one night that I should start a blog. With pictures! As an outlet for all the snarky things I think but can never say because I want to remain marginally functional in society! Who cares that I have no actual evidence that I am interesting or funny! So what if I have never drawn or created art in any form since 10th grade? Dang, I was going to get my blog on!

So here we are.

Some quick housekeeping items. Let me show you around. This is me:



This is my partner, A. :



(And yeah, we're lesbians, if you feel distracted or uncomfortable with that may I direct you to another blog right here for your enjoyment.)

This is Carbon. He is almost two. He is a pretty great dog but he has some...limitations. He is probably the happiest creature alive. He "sings" when we play a harmonica.


These are the goddamned cats. I know, I know...it doesn't get much more lesbionic than two girls with a dog and three cats. In my defense, I only brought one cat--Ashes--to the relationship. She also happens to be the only pet who doesn't go into seizure if required to be more than 18 inches from us, a point even A. concedes when Berkeley, Koa and Carbon are crushing our chest cavities while we try to watch Shark Week.




I guess that's pretty much it. I hope you find some modest measure of enjoyment in my humble offering to the blogosphere. If not, well, thanks for stopping by. Try not to let the wif-fi boot you off on the way out...

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment